IOM recruits 01 Media and Digital Content Assistant
- Open to Internal and External Candidates
- Position Title : Media and Digital Content Assistant
- Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa)
- Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
- Type of Appointment : Fixed Term, one year, with a possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Closing Date : 06-Sept.-20
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM implements innovative projects aimed at young people and aspirant migrants through a Communication for Development (C4D) approach. One such project is Migrants as Messengers (MaM), which seeks to empower target audiences in West Africa make informed decisions about migration through peer-to-peer messaging.
The project started in three countries in November 2017 and will expand to seven countries in 2019 (Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, The Gambia, Côte d’Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Liberia). It is carried out by volunteers using storytelling techniques to record and broadcast interviews with returned migrants and share these stories online and at community events.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Media, Communication and Awareness Raising, the direct supervision of Migrants as Messengers Project Manager, and in close collaboration with the Media Development Officer at IOM’s Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for the creation of various artistic multimedia contents.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support planning, implementation and monitoring of all media development related activities of the Migrants as Messenger project in coordination with the Media Development Officer;
- Produce quality visibility materials for the project, and oversee adherence to branding guidelines;
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, web and interactive presentations;
- Produce and edit videos, including developing video concepts and storyboards;
- Lead on, including design and manage, all graphic design elements for the project’s needs, including visual arts, illustrations, photo montages, handouts, posters and reports;
- Adapt multimedia content for use on various platforms, including website, social media, television etc.;
- Guide and provide graphic design and video production support to project implementing countries as needed;
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a photo archive;
- Provide overall administrative support to the Media and Development Officer, and;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Digital Communication, Multimedia Product, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with at least four years of relevant professional experience, or;
High school Diploma/Certificate with at least six years of relevant professional experience.
Experience: Proven experience in graphic design and video editing.
- Excellent computer skill and knowledge in the various graphic design and video editing tools (Adobe Creative Suite: Premiere/Final Cut, Photoshop, After Effects, InDesign);
- Good knowledge of social networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram) and of the publication formats on these networks;
- Basic knowledge of HTML and motion graphics an asset;
- Artistic sensitivity and creativity in the creation of the different contents.
Fluency in English or French, and a working knowledge of the other language (English or French) is required. Fluency in other West or Central African local languages is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in Senegal will be considered. A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications (CV and cover letter in a unique PDF file) by September 6, 2020, with email subject: ‘Application MAM’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.